This month of excitement as we start to see the days drawing out as spring creeps in and buds starting to open. Now is the time to prepare the garden for the new season, so here are some March garden maintenance tips.
- Ensure that all bare-root trees and shrubs are planted before they start growing
- Stake trees and tall shrubs as March is typically the month of strong winds
- Shrubs that flower on the current year’s growth should be pruned now
- Snowdrops should be split and moved whilst they are still in leaf
- Shred and compost all pruning’s and old herbaceous material
- Remove weeds, by hand or hoe, while still small
- As plants start to grow apply a dressing of fertiliser and a good mulch
- When weather permits remove thatch in lawns by raking
- Finish cutting back and tidying borders
Now is a great time to plan your garden layout ready so that any construction work can be completed in time for summer. To ensure that you get the most out of your garden click to arrange a consultation with one of our garden designers who will work with you to get the perfect garden.