The choice of plants selected when carrying out small garden planting is influenced by various factors such as:
- The aspect of the border
- The availability of lighting within the each planting area
- The acidity of the soil? for example is the soil acidic, alkaline or neutral, soil test kits are available from most gardens but remember to test the various planting areas in your garden
- The condition of the soil
- The amount of space available
- The garden style, for example when planting a contemporary garden the different varieties of plants should be restricted
When planting a small garden it is important to remember less is more, over planting can create an area which looks overcrowded and cluttered.